Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Off to a good start!

My first Tuesdays With Dorie post and I'm writing it on a Wednesday. Shame on me,

I started with much greater aspirations, in fact, I baked this recipe a whole week and a half early because I was so excited. I'm full of creativity in the kitchen, but writing, oh that's a different story. Anyway, one day late isn't so bad- I did much worse with assignments in college.

Before I dig into the adventures in Rugelach baking, I should explain how I got started on this exciting new adventure. It all started one sunny summer afternoon, when I pawned off a bag full of fresh garden tomatoes to my new neighbor, Patty. It turns out, the day I passed the bag of tomatoes over the fence happened to be the same day that Patty as ready to cook her Fridays with Dorie recipe that happened to require a bunch of tomatoes. We got to talking about this neat blogging community she belongs to, and how much fun Patty and her mother have, cooking and blogging through Dorie's books. I was intrigued, and to say I didn't go right inside and google 'Tricia and nanna Fridays with Dorie " would be the lie of all lies. I checked it out, and a few other blogs. I planned on grabbing myself the book to give it a try. But alas, like most great plans I put together in my little pea brain, it vanished within days.


That is, until I got a knock on the door a few weeks ago, Patty and her family had moved out of the house next door but stopped by with a gift, Dorie's newest book! I was quick to make myself a blog page, and run to the store for ingredients, and I baked those suckers within hours of getting the book. 
So here I sit, a week and a half later, with wine in hand, and Rugelach gone days ago (they were a hit!) 

Let's get to the good stuff, the pictures!

I'm no baker, so when I saw that the first recipe I'd be making had no pictures as reference I took it as a challenge. I refused to give in to the temptation of googling some pictures. I wanted to see how well I could follow directions (turns out, not so well, but they still came out just fine!)





Ah,my favorite part of cooking- putting all the ingredients out and taking pictures of them. In the past they just sat on my phone- now they have a home!
This dough was so easy, and it turned out so flakey! It almost made it look like I knew what I was doing!

I got inspired by the filling and made myself a fancy chocolate cherry pecan coffe. Let's talk about how cute my mug is...
This first batch I somehow misread the directions and ended up using half the amount of dough I was supposed to, resulting in really thin dough and a slightly burnt first batch, that just gave me and excuse to eat those first.
Final product! So cute! I think I cut them a little short, but that just made them that much easier to pop into my mouth in one bite.
Because of my miscalculation I ended up with extra dough, but not enough filling. So I made these little  punks. I filled them with raspberry jam and chopped pecans, I REALLY liked these!


So that's it! I've already made a plan to sucker my mom and aunt into helping me with the Buche de Noel recipe, that one looks like a doozy!

9 comments:

  1. Great blog, photos and oh, I love that MUG! How cute is that? My 11 y/o loves it too. As I was reading she walked into the room and spied the photo of the cuteness and said 'wait go back I wanta see that mug".
    And I love your story.
    happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole! Welcome aboard the TWD train. I know you will miss Tricia/Patty but sweet Ro will be close by to trade notes with you on your new baking adventures. Those ladies are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole, welcome to the group. I'm Nana, Tricia's mom, and I'm happy to see that you
    started a blog. You are gonna love it. Your rugelach looks terrific, much better than
    mine, but I am not giving up, I hope to make more before the holidays. The are tasty little
    goodies and Hubby and I finished them off in no time. On to the Buche de Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your cookies look spectacular...so flaky and pretty. Nice photos...can't wait to see what you do with the Buche de Noel! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh I love it !!!! And you SO NAILED IT !!! Awesome first post and I am truly impressed. Seriously, that rugelach is out this world to begin with and then that über yummy coffee....and raspberry crescent delights ? WOW. I am also very touched by this awesome post. I fondly remember that day in the back yard when you delighted me with those gorgeous heirloom tomatoes. They were truly like a gift from the heavens and I could not believe my luck. Then hearing about your interest in cooking - well, it was just meant to be. This is quite a community. I see you have met my mom (aka Nana) and the wonderful Adriana as well (she is from Puerto Rico and we met in Seattle). I am so happy to see you online and I love the blog title - so adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, beautiful cookies! Welcome to the group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nicole…so happy to meet you! Welcome to Tuesdays! Your rugelach looks fabulous! A great first recipe and post! I agree with Patty….you nailed it! Now on to Buche de Noel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the group Nicole. I hope you enjoy your time, it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Nicole! I often do the cooking but never get the blogging done so being one day late is nothing in my book! Due to illness to be with people having health issues I have gotten behind in cooking and blogging but I hope to get caught up next week. I look forward to pictures of your dog. My weakness is pictures of my grand babies:) Though pictures of my little dog AJ creep in too!

    ReplyDelete